Thursday, November 12, 2009

Failla wine tasting at Veritas

I went to Veritas Wine Bar in Dallas last night to taste several of California winemaker Ehren Jordan's new releases under the Failla label. His "day job", as he referred to it, is the winemaker for Turley.

We tasted a chardonnay (Keefer Ranch 07-Parker 92 pts.) selling for $39.99 at retail was an excellent wine. There were two Pinot Noirs, the Sonoma Coast 07-a Wine Spectator 91 pts selling for $44.99 and the Keefer Ranch 07, also a Wine Spectator 91 pts. selling for $53.99. I personally liked the Keefer Ranch Pinot the best, but not at that price. Finally, there was the Phoenix Ranch Syrah-a Wine Enthusiast 94 pts. selling for $49.99. This was my least favorite of the tasting. I look for wines at a much lower price point with a great deal of success such as the Hahn Estates 06 Pinot Noir-a double gold medal winner at the San Francisco International Wine Festival that sells for $19.

As I was told early on when I began to drink wine, pricing is a perceived value only. I continue to find excellent wines under $20 with more and more under $15 and some under $10. World Market and Dallas Fine Wines on Oaklawn in Dallas continue to be my primary sources of these wines.

No comments: